Sunday, January 22, 2012

Recruit the way...

THE MARINES DO IT

"My son Jim joined the Marines when he was a young man. I was proud of him, but I also noticed the Marines didn't sweeten their sales pitch for Jim or anybody else. Hard work, long hours, tough duty, extreme situations, and more were what they offered. All of this to find "a few good men" who wanted to be part of a great team. 
      Of course, this is a very sound screening device for attracting the right kind of person--the individual eager to pay the necessary price to become a member of that kind of organization.
      Those who applied for membership, who wanted to be part of the team, were not looking for the easy way. There knew it would be tough going and accepted it, even welcomed it.
     Unintentionally, I had been doing something similar in my own recruiting. No sweet talk or big promises. Playing time, trophies, or title were never, ever mentioned. The one big promise I made to candidates was that if they came to UCLA and paid attention, they'd get a very good education. 
     Over the years I think my approach screened out many individuals who may have been ill-suited for my system. This saved everybody a lot of time. In its own way, my approach had some resemblance to that of the Marine Corps." - J. Wooden

I read this today and of course thought of you David. I only hear of bits and pieces of what it is to live as a Marine and to serve our country and I can only imagine (and would only like too, cus I wouldn't make it as a Marine =), all the sacrifice, dedication, and hard work you and your fellow Marines put into fighting for our rights and freedom. 

Thank You David Lee for fighting for us and I'm really proud of who God has made you to be and the man he is shaping you to become. He is our sovereign God. We aren't perfect, but its awesome to see you strive and try daily to live for our Father as his child first and as one of the few and the proud.



사랑한다... 제니누나.    화이팅!!! (=

No comments: